Saturday, November 8, 2014

I Feel Bad For Their Students

Got to thinking today about something that happened on our way to California. We were grabbing breakfast in a hotel lobby before heading out, somewhere in Iowa I think, and we saw two people loading up a car with a bunch of Border Collies. They definitely looked like agility people, so we decided to go up and introduce ourselves. Turns out, they were people Mary knew (but didn't recognize from the backs of their heads), who had come to some trials out in the PA/upstate NY area when she was out there. And they were headed to Cynosports as well. We didn't speak much, other than "Oh, hey, that's funny!" We friended each other on FB so we could keep in touch on the journey, but went our separate ways. We caught up with them again in Nevada somewhere, and met for breakfast at a Denny's. One of them asked me what kind of dogs I had. When I told her, she put her hand over her heart, rolled her eyes, and exclaimed, "Oh, I am so sorry!" And then she proceeded to tell me about all the awful Jacks she has ever known. They were both pretty much done talking to me after that. It became quite clear I was on the outside of the conversation from that point forward. Come to find out, these two people teach classes, together I think. Now really? You teach classes, you have students who presumably look up to you, and you are THAT quick to dismiss anyone who doesn't have a breed you consider a worthwhile agility dog? They didn't know anything about me, or my dogs. But they knew I was headed across the country to compete with not one, but three terriers. It's not like I just "got lucky" with one good terrier. Just the kind of people who continue to foster the belief that you have to have a BC to succeed in this sport. Just the kind of people who make people like me afraid to take seminars or classes. And why am I not surprised that they never once acknowledged the fact that I made finals with one of those unworthy terriers? I really thought those days were over, where trainers expected competitors to go out and get a certain type of dog for their sport. But I guess not.
Just one of those things that got under my skin. And will probably stay with me unfortunately.

1 comment:

  1. You should have said, "Really? I thought one of your dogs was a border jack" lol, that would have freaked her out.

    ReplyDelete