Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Budding Confidence

Confident. Clear. Connected. 
Connect. Commit. Cue. 

The first set of words is what's written on the yellow bracelet a fellow northeast competitor gave out to all the others from the area the year I went to Nationals pretty much by myself in Tulsa and wound up making finals. I've treasured that little gift ever since, and befriended that person. Not sure if she realizes how special that bracelet was to me, for making me feel included in a group (I mean, she gave them to everyone, but it meant a lot to me that I wasn't forgotten) and also for the point of focus that contributed to our finals trip.
The second set of words is the OneMind mantra. How fitting that it's so similar to the three words I have worn on my wrist at almost every trial for the past two years. 

Whichever it is, it's coming back. I can feel it. I think we've worked out our start line issues and even when we aren't perfect, I at least feel like we're running as a team. Mistakes are still being made on both sides of the equation, but we're out there together, laughing at our bobbles, rejoicing in our triumphs. This sport as it should be. Two team trials the next two weeks (this weekend I'm running all three dogs on teams at a small one ring trial, what was I thinking? It's spread over two days though) and next weekend just Kraft at a larger two ring trial (all five runs on one day). I really can't wait. I haven't been this excited to run in a long time. Then after the next two weekends of trials, there's the masters level Soshana seminar middle of the month, two UKI trials on the same weekend at the end of April, then my big splurge on two days of international work with Anna Eifert middle of May. No trials for May in order to afford that so I hope it's worth it. Since all the J&J seminars were pretty much only open to certain people, I'm just trying to take advantage of as many of their coaches doing stuff locally as possible. Going to Canada to work with Kayl is just out of the question. We'll get by, we will make progress even if it does take time. 

This was the course from class last night. We moved to a new location with a lot more space, there's actually a ton of room between the obstacles and the walls, but I zoomed the shot in so you could see everything better. The white numbers we had a little blip where he went from 4 up the dog walk, but the second time through he was just perfect. I think he's still just so excited to have his dog walk out in class that he's looking for it. His wrap out of the #5 tunnel up the dog walk was awesome, I didn't have to go down there at all but just started moving down the dog walk as soon as he was committed to the tunnel. Love that move. The black numbers he was just perfect. I even did this combo lap turn with a reverse spin from 9 to 10, since I wanted the lap turn to create the line to the jump and the spin to cue him going up the dogwalk instead of the tunnel. Worked like a charm. Then I layered that straight tunnel as he came down the dog walk. Perfect contact, both times, knew exactly where he was going. <3 him. 

I also ran Mary's Puck for her since she's still restricted to just walking. It's funny, he's so much bigger than Kraft, but he's so much bendier that he turns much tighter. Didn't have to shape 3-4 on that first course AT ALL and his turn to the tunnel was way tighter than Kraft's even with the shaping! And it's kind of thrilling to have a dog with a stopped contact, never would have thought. I just can't do it though, I know I would train it poorly and wind up with a creeper which drives me nuts. He did break on his first one, but held it nicely after that. He gets oh just a wee bit frantic and squeaky running for me though! Chattering on the start line and everything. Gawd he's fun, but LOUD! Can't really hear anything else, can't think of anything else. He kept popping out of the weaves on the second course when I was peeling away for a front, and Mary was trying to stop me to tell me the trick to getting him to stay in, but I couldn't hear and kept sending him back in. I always kinda wanted a dog who barked on course, but I think borrowing one will do. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment