Monday, January 26, 2015

Feeling Unlucky, aka Winter Blues

It was a tough weekend to be on Facebook. Saturday I was signed up to go to a UKI trial in the morning, then come home in the afternoon to go to work. They were predicting snow overnight Friday night. So when I got up and there was already 3" on the ground and it was still coming down, and the weather people were saying stay home if you can, I just couldn't risk it. Didn't want to get all the way there (an hour away without the snow) and then not be able to get home in a timely manner for work. And really, agility isn't worth sliding across the highway. So I'm glad I wasn't 100% committed to both retiring Marron this spring, or getting her UKI championship, since we just lost a whole trial. She'll get to keep trialing for as long as she wants, and if we can do enough UKI to get that championship, so be it. If not, it's only agility and she really doesn't HAVE to get it to prove to me she was the best damn first agility dog EVER.
So yeah, not getting to go was hard enough. But then seeing the videos from people who did go. Of course I'm happy for them, but it just kills me, kind of a "that was supposed to be ME running that course!" feeling. Yeah, jealous of people who have full weekends off, of people who live nearby locations that are putting on lots of UKI. It was held at Clean Run. That space is awfully small, but it looks like the judge did a great job of utilizing the space to make some really fun courses. I'm entered again this weekend at a trial twice as far away. A full day this time, since I'm off this weekend. We'll see if the weather can cooperate.
On top of that, people announced their status for the Jaako and Janita seminar in NH. Again, wah! Pity party for me! The NH seminar is too far for me to travel to, I'd have to get a hotel and that just isn't in the budget this year. But someone on one of their threads announced that they got into the CT on, which means it opened and probably filled already. Which I expected, I figured it would fill with the instructor's students. But that tiny shred of hope that I might get lucky was shot down. Then with Mary away at a seminar at Kayl's in Canada, training field likely covered in snow until April... definitely feeling like where we are is where we will be for a while. And I don't like where we are.
This is helping:
He loves the TV. I don't know if it was strategic, if she was hinting anything, or if it was just coincidence and she happened across it, but Mary left MEB's Foundation Fundamentals DVD set out and told me to feel free to watch it if I wanted. So that's what I've been doing quite a bit of. Now that training outside is out of the question, if I want to train anything, I have to come up with things that can be done in my tiny basement. I see quite a few things that I can do even with Kraft. Trying to turn all this into a positive, though it's clearly not as much fun as running. Not on the DVD, but the dogs got to play 4 way Crate Games last night. It's still amazing how long one cup of kibble can last even when I'm doling out the treats as rapid fire as I was! A cookie for staying in your crate while I gave another dog a cookie! Dogs were happy though, it was a lot of cookies. A lot of brain work even for ME! Who do I owe a cookie to now again? Whose turn is it to be released? I hope I still see it as this much fun two months from now when it's all we've done.

1 comment:

  1. Winter sucks! The end!!
    Even here its not great but we can usually go outside. But then you take a chance with rain. There are not close trials here, any venue, here. The only close trial is my club, which I work , so then Im there 12 hours. So it doesnt make it fun. The next closest trial are 2 clubs that are 2 hours from me but most are 2 1/2 - 4hours. Makes agilty hard and expensive.

    ReplyDelete