Saturday, July 4, 2015

Not Going to Canada

After my post about maybe not going to Perry for the U.S. Open, OMD announced that this year's camp would be held at Kayl McCann's in Cananda. Not exactly around the corner, but close enough to go to and make a vacation out of. It was being held the same weekend as the Open. My exact words at the end of that post were: "I'm frustrated by not getting better and don't have any where to turn." It seemed like the answer, go to camp instead of the U.S. Open. Problem was, getting in. They only had 40 spots, I don't know how Kayl was saying, "oh we can handle plenty of people", it wasn't even going to be close. Then, the camp opened at midnight on a night I had to be at work. I figured I would leave it up to fate, if I was free at midnight, I would give it a shot. If not, oh well, it was going to be an expensive trip any way. At 11 pm, a hospitalized poodle with really bad complications of diabetes developed heart failure AND a Lab walked in with a septic abdomen and needed emergency surgery. I knew going to Canada wasn't going to happen. On the plus side, I saved a Lab's life, and the diabetic poodle isn't suffering any more, so I guess that's something. 

Also that weekend, there is a seminar being offered by Marco Giovanni, someone I've also wanted to go to. I tentatively signed up, and told the person running it I would come if I didn't get into OMD camp. Sooooo, save a Lab and go to Marco? Sounds pretty good. I THINK that's what I'm going to do. Still disappointed about my decision about the Open. But not going to the Open or OMD camp opens up the possibility of going to Cynosports which wasn't on my radar at all. Somehow, Kraft is already qualified in steeplechase and team and just needs one more Grand Prix Q. Has nothing in biathlon, but was only entered once really since I wasn't even trying to qualify for Cynosports. Spy is only qualified in Grand Prix so far, has one team Q and about three quarters qualified in biathlon. Nothing in steeplechase. Marron I am not going to try to qualify any more for any nationals but she has one GP and one steeplechase. Once I made the decision about the Open, New England Regionals became a much bigger event in my mind. So hmm. Trying hard not to put too much importance on next weekend but, no pressure. If they can get some needed Q's and byes, then probably I'll go. If not, I'll have to think about it. It kind of seems to fit, since they qualified for a couple of things without even trying, but to qualify in the rest might be a good challenge for the rest of the summer. 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the OMD seminar. The few times its been around here, only "known" people got in. It almost feels like a click. Thats why I dont do any of there stuff. It feels like it only for the elite and that makes me mad. I sure thats not what they mean or meant to do, it just went that way.
    Im sure the people whos dog you saved are very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tour J&J did was pretty much like that, you had to know the host in order to get in (and that wasn't J&J's fault, they just showed up and taught, the host was the one who was in charge of filling the spots, screening people, setting the requirements, etc). But getting spots with the other instructors hasn't been bad, I've done one with Soshana and with Anna Eifert, and if things stay the way they are, Marco Giovanni in the fall. No harder to get into those than any other seminar and still excellent instruction by handlers that I know are fluent in the handling system. But the camp wasn't set up that way, there was no selection process, which had me somewhat encouraged. It was just the first forty people to sign up, which can be as much about luck (how fast your internet server is and how much usage is going on in your neighborhood at that time) as anything else. So they are really trying to keep it balanced, give everyone they can a chance. And the way the website is set up now, you can get so much information right off of that that it makes it very accessible for everyone, which is their goal. You don't have to wear black and be part of the clique if you don't want to :)
      The dog is still not out of the woods. Still in the hospital and won't eat. I've told everyone he HAS to live, I am determined.

      Delete